Welcome one, welcome all! It’s Sunday and time for this week’s addition from Robyn’s Wanderings’ Canadian correspondent.
Bermudian Nicola Arnold could be letting the cold get her down, but this intrepid islander decided to take her musings from the cold to the internet and dream of somewhere warm. Or somewhere to travel? Or someone with a warm accent…..well basically she decided to find out where you like to travel.
So where do she want to go? Let’s hear from Nicola:
Here in Ontario, the snow is melting a bit. We are getting a teaser of springtime, as snow is being replaced by slush and rain (although snow flurries are far from over). The temperatures have crept up from freezing at 0°C to a pleasant +10°C. Yes, I know that in Bermuda that would be one of the coldest days, but around here… you take what you can get!
You know how on grey, drippy days you sometimes just want to hibernate from the outside elements? Stay in, make a hot drink and enjoy a weekend afternoon at home? Well that is how my Friday ended up – escaping the puddles & choosing instead to indulge in some movie-watching. Ahhh… popcorn on one side, hot chocolate on the other…
As I enjoyed a bit of post-Oscar movie watching (The King’s Speech), I thought of an idea for this weekend’s blog. Speech… difficulties understanding someone… British and Australian accents – slowly but surely, an idea was forming.
I remembered that I had thrown out three travel-related questions to friends over the past few weeks (Thanks, Facebook). One of my questions was accent-related, and everyone seemed to have a different point of view. Who is to say the French accent is more exotic than the Australian accent? What spurs your thoughts on landscapes or places you want to travel to?
Here are my Top Three Travel Questions & Answers from February:
1) What’s your favourite foreign accent?
- French, without a doubt
- New Zealand
- South African!
- Some accents of “English” such as Scottish + Irish … some “foreign” accents Spanish, Italian, and Russian!
- Australian is by far the best!
- Italian, cara! They come with charm, charisma and of course Cerruti! No contest!
- Chinese and Indian no doubt
- Irish by far
- Australian for me, or Russian
- English- Bronx, NYC preferably
So… it seems that Australian and Italian are pretty popular. What would you choose?!
2) Which would you choose: mountains or beach?
- Today? Beach. Next week? Mountains.
- Mountains… you are from Bermuda, you always have the beach
- Mountains for sure!
Hmm… seems to be six of one and half a dozen of the other! Could you pick one over the other?
3) Fill in the blank: “The country I most dream of visiting is ______”.
- Tough one! First time visit or re-visit? Australia comes to mind!
- Open an atlas and point to any random page. Chances are I want to go there.
- Somewhere in South America (probably Peru) or Borneo would be pretty cool.
- I would love to travel to the Maldives! My dad goes there every year and says the beaches are to die for!
- The Emerald Isle
- I’m going to go with the atlas answer!
- Bermuda of course! Or I would say Italy.
There are so many travel-worthy places… but what would be the country you most want to visit?